Monday, June 1, 2015

Hailey Gloden

It's our last day in Thessaloniki!! 

To wrap up the final day we all split up to do one final scavenge of the city.  I went with a group to the Byzantine hill area for one last view over the amazing city that we have lived in for our time here in Greece.  As we started our journey to the hill we got a little lost and Josh had to asks for some directions, but we eventually got to the right bus stop. Like any other bus experience we have had it was crowded and slightly sticky, but oddly enough I have grown to be used to it. 

I went with Josh, Katie, and Matt to an old prison and it was a great experience.  We didn't get to go too deep into the prison which was upsetting but at least we got to go in right? After we left the prison we explored around the surrounding land and stumbled upon the best view I've had the entire trip! The four of us climbed up a slightly rocky area and once we reached the top we overlooked the entire city and it was so humbling. We were able to see a section where rain was falling and it was beautiful.

We took some pictures and Josh realized he forgot his memory card at the hotel and got a little salty about that discovery. Once we snapped some photos we walked down a ways and caught up with another portion of our group and from there we walked back to the hotel. I can't imagine a better way I would have wanted to end my time in a place that has oddly enough become a sort of comfort to me.

I am excited to go to Athens but I am equally as nervous. I know it is going to be a much more crowded place so we may not get to do as much exploring. A positive to that though is that I will most likely get some time to hang out with all of the amazing people here. I couldn't be more blessed to be here with all of these other awesome Purdue students. We have a six hour bus ride in store for us tomorrow so I am looking forward to the bus shenanigans that will take place during the drive! This trip has been one of a kind and has caused me to grow a lotI can't thank Horizons or the ISA staff enough for allowing me to be a part of such a life changing experience. The journey that I've had so far on this trip is unparalleled to anything I have experienced in my 19 years.  There have been many memories made the past two weeks and even though I'm sad to leave Thessaloniki I'm looking forward to what Athens has to offer. It's time to say goodbye to the comfort of Thessaloniki and hello to new adventures in a new city!

                                      
The shadowy area to the left is where the rain is falling, I thought this was super cool.

Here's me behind the entry door of the prison!

Matt, myself, Katie, and the stunning view of the city.

This is the entrance of the prison!


No comments:

Post a Comment