Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Meagan Hughes

Today marks a week since we arrived at Thessaloniki.  It was set on our calendar as a free day and I woke up at 8 a.m. exhausted, running on a busy week with little sleep.  I was very tempted to turn off the alarm and bypass the museum visits we planned to go to on our own.  Somehow I dragged myself out of bed and grudgingly got ready for the day ahead despite my extremely sore calves from hiking Mt. Olympus yesterday.  Good news: what I assumed would be a day full of dull, lackluster hours turned out to be my favorite one on the trip thus far!

We started at the Greek Agora and Roman Forum where we brought out our inner goddesses by posing on pedestals and saw the crumbling ruins of where the city used to come together to settle their important business transactions.  This museum taught me so much about Greek history that I hadn’t the slightest clue about.  Anything from what they did in their pastime to how a boy became a man.  The security guard even shared a fun fact: playing games with a ball was started in Greece (specifically..not Spain!).  
A few of us decided to have lunch at the rotating tower. AMAZING VIEW!  It took an hour and a half for a full rotation and was definitely worth the visit.  I also tried a FreddoCappuccino for the first time and as a coffee guru, I must say I definitely approve and will be requesting it when we get back in the states. 

After lunch we went to the archeological museum.  Here I personally was so inspired by the ancient art that they dug up from centuries ago along with other artifacts like weapons, armor, jewelry, and even skulls.  The museum had a lot of modern technology that made it interactive which was a lot of fun!

After a day full of a boatload of information, we literally got on a boat!  The sunset cruise was the most relaxing end to an exciting day.  Sitting on the bow of the boat, bonding with classmates, and taking an insane amount of pictures…what more could you ask for?
It is hard to believe that a week has already gone by.  We still have two weeks left in this beautiful country but I know time is going to fly.  I can’t wait to see what other exciting adventures are in store for us!

Best,
Meagan


  
Courtney, Gabi, and I posing on pedestals at the Greek Agora.

My amazing dessert at the rotating tower. Walnut pie!

 Jenna, Anna, Sara, and I on the bow of our boat! 

 Matt and I at the beginning of the sunset cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment